ACNC Reporting and Updating for Congregations
Most Congregations are Basic Religious Charities (BRC).
Congregations that meet the definition of Basic Religious Charity, do NOT have to:
- answer financial information questions in its Annual Information Statement
- submit annual financial reports to ACNC (regardless of its size),
All Congregations must:
- submit an Annual Information Statement which includes information about your activities
- Notify ACNC of any changes to information submitted
Annual – due 31 December each year for most Congregations
Treasurer / Public Officer / Secretary
To Submit an Annual Information Statement to ACNC:
- Log in to the ACNC portal https://charity.acnc.gov.au/
- Enter your email address and your password
- Click Sign in
- If you have forgotten your password, click
- Forgot your password?
- Enter your email address
- Click SEND VERIFICATION CODE and an email will be sent to you
- You should see your Congregation name listed
- Click on your Congregation name
- Click MANAGE PEOPLE
- Edit the list of responsible and authorised people
- Click on the down arrow on the Right Hand Side >> Edit
- To remove someone, simply enter an end date
- Add any new people by clicking
- To Edit Report
- Click Start 20xx AIS (or the appropriate year)
- You will see the following – click START and wait
- Read and Click NEXT
- Enter details as requested NB
- an asterisk - means the data is mandatory
- a search icon – means you need to click on this after entering the details
- If you are a Basic Religious Charity, you will answer NO to the following:
- Is your charity an incorporated Association?
- Does your charity intend to fundraise in the next reporting period?
- Could your charity be registered with any other subtype of charity?
- is your charity incorporated or registered under certain legislation?
- Has the ACNC allowed your charity to report as part of a group?
- is your charity endorsed as a DGR or does it operate DGR funds or authorities or institutions that had total revenue of $250,000 or more in the reporting period?
- Has your charity received more than $100,000 in government grants in the current reporting period, or in either of the previous two reporting periods?
- Annual Revenue less than $250,000 (small charity)
- Click SAVE and NEXT
- Respond YES to the question
- Did your charity operate in the 20xx reporting?
- Click NEXT
- Write a brief description of your purpose and click NEXT eg
“By providing worship services and pastoral care”
- You need to add a program if you do not already have one eg “Advancing Religion”
People finance and reporting
- Complete the details about Number of Employees
- NB FTE (Full-time equivalent) means the equivalent of the number of people working 100% - eg if 2 people worked 50% each, you would have 1 FTE
- Enter the approximate number of volunteers
- If you are a Basic Religious Charity, you can tick NO to the question “Do you want to complete the finance section?”
- Click NEXT
Review and submit
- You can Review the AIS before submitting it
- Add the relevant details for the Declaration
- Click SUBMIT
- Click DOWNLOAD your submitted AIS if you want a copy for your records.
 ie if your Financial Year is July to June